Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Not that you haven't noticed, but I have completely lost the habit of blogging lately. It sort of disturbs me. I'm not sure if it's coming back. At least not right away. I've been occasionally making the rounds to see how you all are doing, but rarely leaving a note of proof. It isn't because I don't love you. It has more to do with a deeply pervading exhaustion right now. It's been about all I can do to get through my work days. I'm sleeping over 10 hours a night and am prone on the couch most of the other hours I'm at home.

The doctor's response to this is, "Yep. Baby wants rest, baby gets rest."

It's really startling to me, though. In fact, I find one of the more startling things about pregnancy (which is obvious, but hard to appreciate the ramifications of until you are) the fact that, suddenly, your body houses more than just you. It isn't just your home. It belongs to someone else, too. And they are as empowered (arguably even MORE empowered) to make demands on it. Plus, they have their own doctor, who has to use YOUR body to figure out what's going on with THEM.

I'm not complaining. I'm really not. I'm just saying it's wierd. Very weird.

So anyway, apparently Ducky's a sleeper. I hope that stays true once Ducky's joins us in the world, too... but, well, not much point in holding out a lot of hope on that one. At least at first. And, truly, I've had it easy. At least Ducky's not a picky eater. I've been spared pretty much all of what other women experience as morning sickness, which is more than okay with me.

We had an ultra-sound last week and Ducky waved at D. and me. It was astounding. Even the doctor was thrilled for us. Waved, kicked, and beat that Ducky heart. It was wonderful.

There's so much to be grateful for this year! That little waving, sleepy kicker's one of the big ones, as is D., our dog, our friends and family, our health, and the richness of all our lives.

But tomorrow, as I stand around the table with family thinking of all there is to be thankful for, I'll also be giving thanks for a world full of wonderful people, many of whom leave the traces of their lives for the rest of us to marvel at on-line. Thank you.

Happy Thanksgiving.